Talk about getting it from all sides!
Today in New York, we are being hit with a lot of bad news. In addition to unhappy announcements out of Governor Cuomo’s office, we’ve gotten word that a crucial piece of construction on the Spectra pipeline will happen this weekend that would render the project effectively complete.
We’re doing a call-in campaign starting NOW and a rally at the site on Saturday at 1pm
How is it that construction is being finalized this weekend when the court case against it won’t even happen until December 18th? Because that’s the way FERC (the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) operates. Spectra was given permission to start construction despite the fact that we have a state-level lawsuit pending. Despite the fact that multiple environmental groups called for a rehearing of their decision. Despite the fact that a federal-level lawsuit won’t even begin for another 3 weeks. Despite the fact that thousands of citizens have expressed their opposition via comments to FERC, letters to multiple representatives of state, federal and local government. Despite nearly continous actions and protests at the site that have resulted in 8 arrests.
FERC is an agency funded by the industry it is supposed to regulate, and its mandate is to expedite energy projects no matter the degree of public opposition. As one of our favorite rabble rousers has famously said, “What we have here is a democracy problem.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- History Unfolding
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Writers Voice
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.