Thus Rick Scott defends the “sacred right” to vote—having tried to snatch it from 180,000 citizens.
Illegal Voter Sentenced to Federal Prison
by Barry Sussman
From Florida comes another installment in the “no crime is too small to prosecute” department. The American criminal justice system currently enjoys a world-wide reputation for turning molehills into mountains and the upward trend in prosecuting minutia shows no sign of abating. Proponents of criminalizing legal trivialities often claim to subscribe to the “broken windows” theory of policing under which it is asserted that failure to prosecute minor crimes is an invitation for offenders to commit more serious violations. Regardless of what legal justification is employed, the idea that only “serious” offenses warrant federal prosecution has been turned on its head by prosecutors who are alternatively looking to pad resumes with meaningless convictions, move up the judicial-corporate ladder or simply do God’s work by punishing all perceived evil-doers.
Josef Sever, 52, an Austrian national and Canadian citizen who has lived in Florida since 1992 but never obtained U.S. citizenship, admitted to having voted in two presidential elections despite his status as a non-citizen. Sever was indicted by a federal grand jury in August of 2012 for falsely impersonating a U.S. citizen in order to vote. Federal investigators began looking at Sever earlier this year when he was identified as a possible illegal voter by state officials in Florida.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Barry Gordon
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- alias Bruce
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.