Why So Secretive? The Trans-Pacific Partnership as Global Coup
Sunday, 25 November 2012 09:29By Andrew Gavin Marshall, Occupy.com | News Analysis
The Trans-Pacific Partnership is the most secretive and “least transparent” trade negotiations in history.
Luckily for the populations and societies that will be affected by the agreement, there are public research organizations and alternative media outlets campaigning against it – and they’ve even released several leaks of draft agreement chapters. From these leaks, which are not covered by mainstream corporate-controlled news outlets, we are able to get a better understanding of what the Trans-Pacific Partnership actually encompasses.
For example, public interest groups have been warning that the TPP could result in millions of lost jobs. As a letter from Congress to United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk stated, the TPP “will create binding policies on future Congresses in numerous areas,” including “those related to labor, patent and copyright, land use, food, agriculture and product standards, natural resources, the environment, professional licensing, state-owned enterprises and government procurement policies, as well as financial, healthcare, energy, telecommunications and other service sector regulations.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Massive protest fails to halt tuition hikes at UC
- TPP will let corporations rule the world—and so the corporate press has blacked it out…
- Cult-like corporation takes a shot at freedom of the press
- UK students offer model for the world, by marching for “free education”
- Testing for Ebola in a New York minute!
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US news blackout on Ebola death in Brooklyn?
- US votes AGAINST resolution condemning the glorification of Nazism
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.