Why So Secretive? The Trans-Pacific Partnership as Global Coup
Sunday, 25 November 2012 09:29By Andrew Gavin Marshall, Occupy.com | News Analysis
The Trans-Pacific Partnership is the most secretive and “least transparent” trade negotiations in history.
Luckily for the populations and societies that will be affected by the agreement, there are public research organizations and alternative media outlets campaigning against it – and they’ve even released several leaks of draft agreement chapters. From these leaks, which are not covered by mainstream corporate-controlled news outlets, we are able to get a better understanding of what the Trans-Pacific Partnership actually encompasses.
For example, public interest groups have been warning that the TPP could result in millions of lost jobs. As a letter from Congress to United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk stated, the TPP “will create binding policies on future Congresses in numerous areas,” including “those related to labor, patent and copyright, land use, food, agriculture and product standards, natural resources, the environment, professional licensing, state-owned enterprises and government procurement policies, as well as financial, healthcare, energy, telecommunications and other service sector regulations.”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Japan state secrets bill “approved” by force, as Abe starts new “reign of terror” to keep Fukushima under wraps (7)
- Dubai jails a US citizen for posting a comedy video to YouTube #freeshez
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP!
- US labor force declined by 25,000, despite 2.4 million RISE in employable Americans
- Outraged by fracking, hundreds storm a Chevron site in Romania
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- Clear Channel to shut down leftwing talk stations in LA, SF
- Iceland, in a peaceful revolution, busts the banksters & throws out its government! (Now THAT's democracy!)
- Visa quits ALEC
- Barry Gordon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.