Prosecution of Anonymous activists highlights war for Internet control
The US and allied governments exploit both law and cyber-attacks as a weapon to punish groups that challenge it.
guardian.co.uk, Friday 23 November 2012 08.53 EST
From a video posted by the Anonymous hacking collective urging the US public
to stop the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection act (Cispa) in the Senate
Whatever one thinks of WikiLeaks, it is an indisputable fact that the group has never been charged by any government with any crime, let alone convicted of one. Despite that crucial fact, WikiLeaks has been crippled by a staggering array of extra-judicial punishment imposed either directly by the US and allied governments or with their clear acquiescence.
In December 2010, after WikiLeaks began publishing US diplomatic cables, it was hit with cyber-attacks so massive that the group was “forced to change its web address after the company providing its domain name cut off service”. After public demands and private pressure from US Senate Homeland Security Chairman Joe Lieberman, Amazon then cut off all hosting services to WikiLeaks. Sophisticated cyber-attacks shortly thereafter forced the group entirely off all US website services when its California-based internet hosting provider, Everydns, terminated service, “saying it did so to prevent its other 500,000 customers of being affected by the intense cyber-attacks targeted at WikiLeaks”.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- With our voting system run by rightist gremlins, Hillary—or ANY Democrat who runs for president—is going to “lose”
- College students in the USA should look to Chile
- Run (into the ground) by Wall Street, NYU is Number #1 in student prostitution
- A captive FCC has put our health and privacy at risk
- Doctor who linked autism to vaccines apparently both shot and drowned himself
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Media Channel
- Early America
- alias Bruce
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.