From Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility:
As if the wind damage, flooding and even fires spawned by Hurricane Sandy were not enough, another impact is rearing its head in the aftermath of the storm – profound water pollution.
Combined sewage overflows from Sandy turned many Eastern Seaboard waters into fetid soup. But it gets worse—
- Superfund sites were inundated and released massive amounts of toxic material;
- Toxic fracking water may have been released from holding ponds into streams in West Virginia and Pennsylvania.
As a result, we are awash in waters not healthy to even touch.
Compounding the problem is that many of these waters were in bad shape before the storm. A new EPA database paints a grim picture:
- More than three-quarters of U.S. coastal waters are impaired, as are two-thirds of our bays and estuaries and more than half of near coastal ocean waters;
- More than two-thirds of our lakes, reservoirs and ponds are impaired as are virtually all of the Great Lakes shorelines and waters; and
- More than four-fifths of the nation’s wetlands are also impaired.
These dismal numbers are likely significant underestimates. Thus, 40 years after the enactment of the Clean Water Act, our rivers may look better and may be less likely to catch on fire but the true quality of our waters may be regressing. In short, the Clean Water Act’s promise that our waters be drinkable, swimmable and fishable remains largely unfulfilled.
Distressingly, the EPA figures show clean water progress has slowed under Obama. In 2008, there were 339 previously impaired waters which were restored to their intended uses but only 109 water-bodies were restored in 2012. Similarly, in 2008 agencies addressed 420 causes of impairment but by 2012 that number had fallen to 255.
Environmental issues have been largely absent from this presidential campaign but environmental events, from the BP Gulf spill to Super-storm Sandy, show how key the environment is to our economic as well as our public health. Regardless of who wins the election next week, one unquestioned lesson from Sandy is that water quality is a vital component of American infrastructure and we disinvest in it at our peril.
P.S. Our drive to uproot genetically engineered crops from National Wildlife Refuges racked up a victory in the Southeast. We won a federal court ruling that on 128 refuges across eight states, halts GE plantings without the environmental review required by the National Environmental Policy Act and refuge management laws.
P.P.S. The FDA has a plan to protect us from drug-resistant “super bugs” – or do they? We had to sue them to find out that the FDA plan to curb massive antimicrobial dosing in livestock feed is nothing more than wishful thinking.
P.P.P.S. We have a couple of petitions that are very close to circulation milestones. Our petition to prevent another 9/11 First Responder tragedy is just 25 signatures short of meeting a circulation goal. And our drive to Clean Up Petroglyph National Monument is also gaining cyber-steam. If you have not signed either, please do and please share them with your friends.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Words of Power
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.