Councilman Says There is a ‘Complete Breakdown’ With Voting in Flatbush
By Hunter Walker 3:42pm
Reports of chaotic situations at the polls around New York City this
Election Day are mounting. The areas on the southwestern tip of
Brooklyn that were damaged by Hurricane Sandy have experienced issues,
but we’re also hearing about problems in neighborhoods that weren’t
heavily impacted by the storm including Flatbush, Park Slope and parts
of Manhattan. Brooklyn Councilman Jumaane Williams, who has been
touring the polling sites in the East Flatbush and Flatbush portions
of his district described the situation as “complete disorganization”
and had harsh words for the city Board of Elections. He also suggested
the federal or city government may need to take action against the BOE
to prevent a similar situation from happening again.
“I think on a non-Sandy day they have problems doing a good election,”
Mr. Williams said of the BOE. “Combine that with Sandy and they’re
completely unorganized. They’ve had four years to plan this. Their
only job is to plan elections and they can’t get it right. And you
should have conditional plans, you should have backup plans, you
should have contingency plans. Where are those plans? This is getting
worse and worse.”
Mr. Williams visited three schools and a church in Flatbush and East
Flatbush. He said all of the sites had incredibly long lines and
overall disorganization that he called a “complete breakdown.” When
asked about the issues that contributed to the problems at the polls,
Mr. Williams fired off a long laundry list of problems.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Richard Charnin
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.