BP Will “Kill Again,” Former EPA Officials, Attorney Warn
Sunday, 18 November 2012 08:27
By Jason Leopold, Truthout
Is a record $4.5 billion fine, guilty pleas to 14 charges and the indictment of three employees enough of a deterrent to stop “serial environmental criminal” BP from placing profits before safety?
If history is any guide, Scott West believes the answer is a resounding, “No.”
West is a former veteran special agent-in-charge at the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Criminal Investigation Division. In 2006, he led an investigation into BP and the oil behemoth’s senior officials for alleged crimes associated with an oil spill that year at BP’s Prudhoe Bay operations on Alaska’s North Slope, one of which spilled more than 200,000 gallons of oil across two acres of frozen tundra – the second largest spill in Alaska’s history, which went undetected for a week.
West, who was profiled in an investigative report published in Truthout a month after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf that killed 11 rig workers, said he felt an ongoing investigation would have revealed enough evidence to convict the company and “very senior officials on felony charges . . . . The Bush DOJ shut it down before it had reached any logical conclusion,” West told Truthout “My investigation should have lasted another two years or so.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- USA is a “world leader” in child poverty
- YouTube link for that video of the Texan freedom fighter
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn’t just the drones…)
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11
- “The Abuse of Satire”: Garry Trudeau nails the Charlie Hebdo craze
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- For their Statement of No Confidence in drone war consigliere Harold Koh, NYU law students feel the heat from their professors
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Why NYU law students have no confidence in Harold Koh (It isn't just the drones...)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Words of Power
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.