BP Will “Kill Again,” Former EPA Officials, Attorney Warn
Sunday, 18 November 2012 08:27
By Jason Leopold, Truthout
Is a record $4.5 billion fine, guilty pleas to 14 charges and the indictment of three employees enough of a deterrent to stop “serial environmental criminal” BP from placing profits before safety?
If history is any guide, Scott West believes the answer is a resounding, “No.”
West is a former veteran special agent-in-charge at the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Criminal Investigation Division. In 2006, he led an investigation into BP and the oil behemoth’s senior officials for alleged crimes associated with an oil spill that year at BP’s Prudhoe Bay operations on Alaska’s North Slope, one of which spilled more than 200,000 gallons of oil across two acres of frozen tundra – the second largest spill in Alaska’s history, which went undetected for a week.
West, who was profiled in an investigative report published in Truthout a month after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf that killed 11 rig workers, said he felt an ongoing investigation would have revealed enough evidence to convict the company and “very senior officials on felony charges . . . . The Bush DOJ shut it down before it had reached any logical conclusion,” West told Truthout “My investigation should have lasted another two years or so.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why Earth demands this march in New York City: A reply to Arun Gupta
- Not to rain on anyone’s parade, but: How the “People’s Climate March” became a corporate PR
- Join Us! Save Our Parks/Save the Village, Rally and Press Conference Featuring a Performance by the World Famous STOMP
- “Putin’s a Jew”: Guardian reports (yet downplays) Nazi thrust of Kiev’s eastern drive
- Dept. of the Glaringly Obvious: GOP doesn’t want majority to vote because majority would not elect Republicans
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- More questions about those "beheadings"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Not to rain on anyone's parade, but: How the "People's Climate March" became a corporate PR
- Mainstream Baptist
- Cody Lyon
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Election Defense Alliance
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.