BP Will “Kill Again,” Former EPA Officials, Attorney Warn
Sunday, 18 November 2012 08:27
By Jason Leopold, Truthout
Is a record $4.5 billion fine, guilty pleas to 14 charges and the indictment of three employees enough of a deterrent to stop “serial environmental criminal” BP from placing profits before safety?
If history is any guide, Scott West believes the answer is a resounding, “No.”
West is a former veteran special agent-in-charge at the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Criminal Investigation Division. In 2006, he led an investigation into BP and the oil behemoth’s senior officials for alleged crimes associated with an oil spill that year at BP’s Prudhoe Bay operations on Alaska’s North Slope, one of which spilled more than 200,000 gallons of oil across two acres of frozen tundra – the second largest spill in Alaska’s history, which went undetected for a week.
West, who was profiled in an investigative report published in Truthout a month after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf that killed 11 rig workers, said he felt an ongoing investigation would have revealed enough evidence to convict the company and “very senior officials on felony charges . . . . The Bush DOJ shut it down before it had reached any logical conclusion,” West told Truthout “My investigation should have lasted another two years or so.”
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- What they’re fighting for in East Ukraine (MUST-SEE)
- A Guatemalan warns that the US police are now just like the (US-trained) police in Guatemala (and Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia…)
- 6 Big Lies about Ukraine and Russia
- Putin needs “a bullet in the back of the head,” says ex-CIA (sic) official
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- 6 Big Lies about Ukraine and Russia
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- What they're fighting for in East Ukraine (MUST-SEE)
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.