BP Will “Kill Again,” Former EPA Officials, Attorney Warn
Sunday, 18 November 2012 08:27
By Jason Leopold, Truthout
Is a record $4.5 billion fine, guilty pleas to 14 charges and the indictment of three employees enough of a deterrent to stop “serial environmental criminal” BP from placing profits before safety?
If history is any guide, Scott West believes the answer is a resounding, “No.”
West is a former veteran special agent-in-charge at the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Criminal Investigation Division. In 2006, he led an investigation into BP and the oil behemoth’s senior officials for alleged crimes associated with an oil spill that year at BP’s Prudhoe Bay operations on Alaska’s North Slope, one of which spilled more than 200,000 gallons of oil across two acres of frozen tundra – the second largest spill in Alaska’s history, which went undetected for a week.
West, who was profiled in an investigative report published in Truthout a month after the explosion aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the Gulf that killed 11 rig workers, said he felt an ongoing investigation would have revealed enough evidence to convict the company and “very senior officials on felony charges . . . . The Bush DOJ shut it down before it had reached any logical conclusion,” West told Truthout “My investigation should have lasted another two years or so.”
CONSPIRACY THEORY IN AMERICA
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Vets return to Vietnam, to help clean up the mess they left behind
- Visa quits ALEC
- The stars come out against the Sexton Plan!
- Donors fleeing ALEC over Trayvon Martin’s shooting
- Now you see it, soon you won’t: Welcome to the memory hole
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Robin Roland on Score one (at last) for the Election Integrity movement!
- Julie on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- CIA's contra/cocaine scheme was a REAL conspiracy, not a "theory"
- Visa quits ALEC
- Iceland got over the recession fast—by jailing the banksters, and bailing out the people
- Here are many MORE things NOT to buy from Koch...
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.