From Victor Provenzano:
Thus far, the 4 national tracking polls have registered an infinitesimal combined net gain of 0.375% for Mitt Romney now that one and a half days (Wednesday night and Thursday) have passed since the debate:
(1) The Rasmussen poll shows the race has not moved in either direction
(2) The Gallup poll shows Obama gaining 1%
(3) The Rand poll shows Obama gaining 1.5%
(4) The online Ipsos poll shows Mitt gaining 4%
Taking all 4 national tracking polls into account, Obama gained a combined 2.5% (in 2 out of the 4 polls) while Mitt gained a combined 4% (in only one poll), which yields a net gain for “Willard” of 0.375%. He won by a long shot! Those 4 polls include a small number of voters who saw the debate on Wednesday night as well as a fuller national sample on Thursday of those who did and did not see the debate.
The only statistical effect thus far is in some of the state polls: in Nevada (where Mitt is now down only 4.6% on average), in Ohio (where Mitt is now down a mere 3%), in Virginia (where Mitt is now behind a minuscule 0.4%), and in Florida (where Mitt is now even with Obama). This movement in the state polls, however, probably has more to do with Rasmussen’s strong Republican bias—-along with the effect of Karl Rove’s recent media spending—-than it does with the recent debate.
Most debates have little if any effect on the outcome of the presidential race since the public has more or less made up its mind before the series of debates begin in the fall. A third of the time, a “win” consists in a net gain of only around 1% for one of the candidates, while a “big win” consists in a net gain of about 3%. In 1980, for instance, Ronald Reagan made a series of major gaffes yet “won” the debate against Jimmy Carter by repeating the phrase “there you go again” gaining a “stunning” 2.8% as a result.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Matters
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Thom Hartmann
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.