From William Hogeland:
Please join me for what I hope will be a lively party/talk/signing on Wednesday, October 24, 7-8 p.m., to launch my new book Founding Finance: How Debt, Speculation, Foreclosures, Protests, and Crackdowns Made Us a Nation. The event will be held at that great independent bookstore BookCourt, 163 Court Street, Brooklyn, U.S.A. It will involve banjo-thumping and caterwauling (not “The Cuckoo” this time), but I’ll try to keep that to a minimum, and some sort of adult beverage will be served. I’ll tell startling tales from Founding Finance, consider aloud why we don’t know them already, and sign copies. Hoping for a freewheeling hour in my old neighborhood.
(This is a free and public event, and all are welcome. Don’t hesitate to invite others who might be interested, forward this e-mail, and post to your networks.)
Regarding Founding Finance: It ranges like a bull in a china shop through those critical years 1765-1795, turning up dire conflicts among 18th-century Americans over finance and economics. These are the conflicts that, while shockingly little-known, I think played directly into — no, they were — the American founding’s critical path, the stuff that really made us who we are. (The book is published by University of Texas Press, in Mark Crispin Miller’s “Discovering America” series.)
Little-known founding-era episodes that may sound eerily resonant:
- Predatory lending in a real-estate bubble about to pop
- Upscale investors’ feverish speculation in dubious debt instruments
- Foreclosure crises sending ordinary families into poverty and dependence
- Popular uprisings against government complicity in wealth concentration
- Militarized crackdowns on democratic approaches to finance
- And — of course! — more
This is not, in other words, another book about founding conflicts between Americans and England. We won that war. These are stories of the founding war between some Americans and other Americans, a war between ordinary people and the consolidated elite over money, debt, and government’s role in public and private finance. A war we refuse to believe formed us, a war we’ve never stopped fighting.
I offer these strange tales, sometimes grim and sometimes funny, featuring oddball characters both famous and obscure, in hopes of making an entertaining election-year dissent from Tea Party and “constitutional conservative” claims on the American founding — and from a lot of liberal preconceptions too.
Further info on Founding Finance events to come (events in Boston, Kansas City…). You can check my Facebook author page, follow me on Twitter, skim my blog, and/or receive a very few more of these blasts by not unsubscribing. In the meantime, I hope you’ll come to BookCourt on October 24!
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Barry Gordon
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Thom Hartmann
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.