Hurricane Sandy Power Outages Could Make Voting Impossible in Half a Dozen States Where Electronic Voting is Only Option for Voters
The National Weather Service has been telling us over the past several days that the serious impact of the super storm which is Hurricane Sandy is not to be underestimated. But there is another concern that has been keeping me awake over the past week or so.
NBC’s Al Roker spelled out that concern briefly on Sunday’s Meet the Press, explaining what I’ve been worrying about since it became clear that the storm could have serious ramifications on Election Day.
I’m not talking about the political ramifications about its effect on planned campaign events between now and Election Day, on Early Voting turnout, or even how it’s handled by President Obama and FEMA, etc. I’m talking about the serious question of whether voters will be able to vote on Election Day at all, particularly in states which force voters to use electronic voting systems at the precincts.
“We expect massive power outages throughout the area,” Roker told NBC’s David Gregory (before Gregory hurried to ignore the comment entirely.) “As the system moves on shore it’s going to be a long term effect. It’s going to last for about 72 hours. And so we’re talking about people who could be without power for at least 10 days. That, as you know, will take it right into Election Day. So what will people do if they can’t get to the voting booth, or the voting booths don’t have power?”
Good question, Al. And one we’ve warned about here for a number of years.
There are about a half a dozen states (listed below) directly in harm’s way where voters are forced to use 100% unverifiable electronic voting systems on Election Day. In those locations, unless they have enough emergency paper ballots printed up to accommodate the entire electorate at precincts where power remains disrupted on Election Day, there could be very serious and unprecedented problems…
FULL STORY, LIST OF STATES WHERE E-VOTING THREATENED: http://www.bradblog.com/?p=9670
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.