From Jerry Policoff:
Below is a copy of the e-mail I sent Rachel Maddow as a follow-up to her story on how at least 2 PA counties continue to misinform their voters about the voter ID law (telling them that photo ID is required in order to vote).
I checked all 67 county websites, and discovered that this is far more widespread. Is it even remotely conceivable that all of these counties were just absent-minded and simply forgot to update their sites after Judge Simpson, on the morning of October 2nd, deferred enforcement of the law until next year?
I am not including the screen captures here, but if you want to see them let me know. (I did send them to Maddow).
I had sent Maddow some information yesterday as well, but this update is much more complete.
From: Jerry Policoff
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2012 3:59 PM
Subject: Follow-up: How each county is handling Pa. voter ID law on their web sites including screen captures (as of 10/7/12)
Attached is a summary of how Pa. counties are handling the voter ID laws on their web sites including screen captures as of this morning.
- 36 sites contain no information at all about the Voter ID Law
- 12 correctly inform voters that ID will be requested but not required to vote
- 19 incorrectly state that voter ID will be required in order to vote this November.
As background, Judge Simpson issued his revised ruling deferring enforcement of the law on October 2nd, though the counties should have anticipated and prepared for this as the Supreme Court had made it clear that if Simpson did not order enforcement deferred, they would. My own Lancaster County only corrected their site yesterday after being bombarded by complaints from Democratic County officials.
County offices are closed Monday due to Columbus Day and Tuesday is the deadline for new voters to register so lack of information or incorrect information can conceivably have an adverse impact on new registrations.
Pennsylvania law requires that voters voting by absentee ballot have a legitimate reason for being unable to vote at their polling place. At least in Lancaster County the GOP sent out a glossy mailer to Republicans that included an absentee ballot application, but did not warn that they must have a valid reason for voting by absentee ballot.
I do hope you will do a follow-up to your excellent Friday evening story.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.