TUE OCT 23, 2012 AT 09:02 AM PDT
Sigh. Ohio county sends voters wrong election date, directions to polls
It was “just a mistake,” according to the deputy director of the Republican-run Ottawa County Board of Elections in Ohio. And, you know, I’d really like to believe her. But it’s Ohio. The board sent a mailer to 2,300 voters in three northwestern Ohio precincts on Lake Erie near Toledo informing them that their voting location had been moved to a building on the east side of Danbury High School. The actual location is on the west side. Voters were also told Election Day was Nov. 8. It is, of course, Nov. 6.
Normally, one might be willing to give whoever generated that screw-up the benefit of the doubt. But Ohio Democratic Party Chairman Chris Redfern, who happens to live in Ottawa County, rightly noted, “There is no excuse for a board of elections or Secretary [of State Jon] Husted’s office to botch their most basic job, notifying voters when and where to exercise their right to vote.” He called upon Husted to review all the board’s correspondence for the past year “to ensure that there are no other errors that could disenfranchise voters.”
According to the Deputy Director Carol Ann Hill, the board realized the error soon after it sent out postcards to voters and said it was “sending out a new mailer, as we speak, with an apology.”
One Comment to “Ohio county sends voters wrong election date, directions to polls”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- Media Channel
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Mainstream Baptist
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Media Matters
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.