Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM PDT
This week in the War on Workers: NYU okay with union-buster sending thugs to threaten students
by Laura ClawsonFollow for Daily Kos Labor
Last month, a rally by New York University students supporting workers at nursing homes owned by NYU Law School trustee and major donor Daniel Straus was met by an aggressive counter-protest of people obviously paid to be there (they claimed to be nursing home workers but didn’t know where they worked, among other things) who threatened students and yelled homophobic slurs while holding signs saying things like “Daniel Straus cares.”
It was reasonable to assume that Straus had hired these goons, but it seemed unlikely it could be proven. Except that it has been, and a Straus spokesperson has admitted that CareOne and HealthBridge, Straus’s nursing homes, did hire “security.”
Hiring thugs to insult, intimidate, and threaten college students rallying outside an event at their own school is about what you’d expect of Straus, whose nursing home chains have been hit with repeated National Labor Relations Board charges due to a pattern of illegal behavior against workers. But you’d think NYU might care that its students were being threatened by people hired by one of its law school’s trustees. Not really, though.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- History Unfolding
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Online Journal
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.