Those of us who’ve faced the ugly truth about America’s voting system, yet still believe it possible to wrest that system from the clutches of the right (despite the criminal inattention of the Democratic Party, and most progressives), suddenly have something we can cheer about at last, and send out far and wide ASAP: “How To Rig an Election,” Victoria Collier’s excellent cover story in the November Harper’s.
If you’ve not been paying attention to the radical subversion of electoral democracy in the United States these last 12 years, this piece will blow your mind, and probably depress you; but if you don’t shake that off, and move to spread the word right now, by sending everyone you know this must-read article, you’ll have to share the blame for what will very likely happen (again) on Nov. 6, whether it befalls the presidency, Congress or some statehouses (or all of the above).
Brava to Victoria, then; and hurray for Harper’s, whose editors and publisher have shown us once again that they are brave enough to face an issue as important as it is neglected. (This new piece is a sort of sequel to “None Dare Call It Stolen,” the cover story I wrote for them six years ago.) The only other US magazine that’s shown the same intelligence and courage is Rolling Stone.
Harpers Magazine cover story: “How to Rig an Election”
My copy of the November Harper’s Magazine arrived today, with a surprisingly front-and-center article on the state of America’s vote-counting technology. It’s a well-researched piece, with much of it depressingly familiar to many progressives who followed the tin-foil-hat-tainted theories of the 2004 election. It reviews the recent history some of us know: the ESS&S / Diebold coziness, Bev Harris and hackable GEMS system, the Help America Vote Act Trojan horse, Chuck Hegal, Max Cleland, the exit poll disparities in Ohio and elsewhere in 2004 that all exhibited a “red shift” to the Right.
The article then brings things up to date.
Some argue that the Democratic victories in 2006 and 2008 disprove the existence of the red shift. However, this may be a misinterpretation of complex political upheavals that occurred in each of those election years…. Post-election analysis did in fact suggest extensive red-shift rigging. But in both election cycles, these efforts simply failed to overcome eleventh-hour events so negative that they drastically undercut the projected wins for the G.O.P.
Those events were Mark Foley’s exposure (and G.O.P. leadership cover-up) in 2006 and the collapse of Lehman Brothers in 2008. But in 2010, the article details how the victories of Scott Brown, Rick Scott, Scott Walker, and Jim DeMint each left evidence that the computer-counted tallies were suspect.
3 Comments to ““How to Rig an Election” — Victoria Collier’s BREAKTHROUGH article in Harper’s!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kati Marton on “The Polk Conspiracy”—a gem on the Forbidden Bookshelf (MUST-READ)
- MI5’s fat file on Eric Hobsbawm included stuff the Nazis had collected on him
- Under TPP, the power of international investors will be ABSOLUTE—and ObamaCo has lied and lied about it
- Did NYU hire a private eye to dig for dirt on one of its professors, and a NYTimes reporter? (Looks like it….)
- Top US scientists—those working at Los Alamos—say NO to vaccines for their kids
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- Education should be free, and so should student debtors on
- Exit polls in Florida show Democrat way, way ahead in race for governor on
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- PETITION to the US State Department from the family of Dr. Robert Black on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Democrats won't say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein---and neither will Republicans! (How come?)
- What happened to WSJ oil reporter David Bird? (Last week they found his body, after 14 months)
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.