This piece is deeply flawed by two big misconceptions: (1) that computerized vote-COUNTING is okay (as it most certainly is not); and (2) that e-voting is dangerous because it’s prone to random glitches (and not because it’s easy to manipulate deliberately).
Still, it’s great to see the Monitor at least contending with the grave risks of computerized voting, as that at least is an important start.
The Christian Science Monitor – CSMonitor.com
Exclusive: E-voting puts vote accuracy at risk in four key states
In four battleground states – Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, and Colorado – glitches in electronic-voting machines could produce erroneous tallies that would be difficult to detect and potentially impossible to correct, a Monitor analysis finds.
Barbara Sanders of the League of Women Voters selects a candidate during a test of an electronic voting machine in Columbia, Md., in October 2004. As Sanders voted others tallied the same votes from paper ballots to ensure the electronic equipment recorded votes properly.
By Mark Clayton
posted October 25, 2012 at 2:31 pm EDT
Touch-screen electronic voting machines in at least four states pose a risk to the integrity of the 2012 presidential election, according to a Monitor analysis.
In four key battleground states – Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, and Colorado – glitches in e-voting machines could produce incorrect or incomplete tallies that would be difficult to detect and all but impossible to correct because the machines have no paper record for officials to go back and check.
While many state officials laud the accuracy of e-voting machines, mechanical and software failures are not a new problem. What makes the risk more serious this year is that polls project a close election, and e-voting problems in any of the four states in question could affect who wins the presidency.
2 Comments to “E-voting puts vote-counts at risk in 4 key states, reports the Christian Science Monitor”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Mainstream Baptist
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.