From Jen Senko:
Did you know Spectra is building a pipeline from Pennsylvania to the West Village in order to pipe in fracked gas? …. I didn’t think so. Neither did I.
Info on laying the pipeline on Hudson and Gaansevoort: PLEASE GET INVOLVED NOW!!!!
Write Bloomberg, Cuomo, Schumer, Gillibrand, Reps; Grimm, Crowley, Meeks!
They’ve been laying the infrastructure and groundwork to move in. They’ll be importing hydro-fractured gas (using this most toxic type of extraction method) into the West Village, thereby creating more demand for this gas, thereby creating more hydro-fractured sites across the country, including our very own upstate New York and Catskills, and thereby endangering our water supply. It looks definite that Spectra will break ground next week.
The “New Jersey-New York Expansion Project” is a proposed high-pressure gas pipeline, varying in diameter from 42-30″ and slated to travel up the New Jersey shoreline, through the edge of Staten Island, under Jersey City and across the Hudson River, entering Manhattan at the Gansevoort Peninsula in the West Village. It is known more commonly by the name of its builder’s parent company, Spectra Energy.
We must take a stand to defend our communities; upstate, NYC, New Jersey, all places where hydro-fracking rears its ugly head. The gas industry thinks they can sneak in and set up shop in NY and we’ll just lie there and take it while they destroy our farmland, water and air quality, expose our homes to radon and put us in a blast zone. They’re dead wrong.
Gansevoort and Hudson River Greenway – You can cross over the West Side Highway at 14th St., at Horatio St. or at W.12th St. to get to the Greenway. Look for the Department of Sanitation Building, and adjacent to this is a HUGE crane. This is the site. This is Spectra Energy.
Fun Fact: Spectra Energy is excluded from regulations of the Clean Air and Clean Water Acts.
Fun Fact: Radon Gas, according to the Surgeon General, is the 2nd leading cause of Lung Cancer in the nation today.
Radon Gas is what they want to pipe into your home via your cooking and heating gas. Thanks, but no thanks!!
Location is at the end of Gansevoort St and Hudson River Greenway.
for more information on Spectra Pipeline and others planned for NYC and upstate NY, please visit this website:
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- What we’ve done to Iraq with our DU is “genocide,” their doctors rightly say
- WashPost (channeling Langley) slanders Gary Webb AGAIN
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as "progressives"
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Evil GOP Bastards
- History Unfolding
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance