Save Greenwich Village and NYU: Stop the Sexton Plan
To be delivered to: John Sexton, President, New York University
We, the undersigned, deplore the New York City Council’s vote in favor of the NYU expansion plan. The people of the Village voiced their overwhelming opposition to the project, while 37 of NYU’s own departments and divisions passed resolutions urging NYU President John Sexton to reconsider it.
In light of that broad opposition, and the many cogent arguments against the plan, we now call on NYU’s administration to abandon it, and to resume the proper mission of a university, with a new commitment to education and research, fiscal responsibility, the sustainable use of resources and space, and a neighborly respect for the community and character of Greenwich Village.
Tell NYU’s administration to abandon their multi-billion-dollar expansion plan to build more high-cost dorms, parking lots, and retail space, and tell them to focus on academic excellence. Thirty-seven of NYU’s own departments have voted against the plan, yet President Sexton has not responded to his own faculty members. He has not provided any evidence that NYU can afford this plan.
Make your voice heard, no matter who you are: you may be a New York City or Greenwich Village resident, NYU staff or alum, or you care about overdevelopment and the future of higher education. Don’t allow university executives to build unnecessary high-rises by raising tuition and transforming the Village!
This petition is organized by NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan. As teachers and researchers at NYU, we put education first, not real estate ventures. You can find out more about us at http://nyufasp.com.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Barry Gordon
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.