NYU Expansion Foes Project Protests on Campus with OWS ‘Illuminator’ Updated September 20, 2012 9:31am
September 20, 2012 9:31am
By Stephanie Keith
GREENWICH VILLAGE — NYU faculty opposed to the university’s massive expansion plan took a page from Occupy Wall Street Wednesday night by projecting images protesting the redevelopment project on a handful of the college’s campus buildings.
Using the OWS “illuminator” — a van featuring a projector attached to the vehicle’s roof — activists lit up the sides of NYU’s Bobst Library and high-rises in Washington Square Village in an attempt to draw attention to the plan they see as out of scale.
The projections included images with phrases like “Condemned by NYU,” “NYU: Too Big to Fail?” and “Hey NYU, expand minds NOT propert
NYU Faculty Splash Washington Square With Digital Graffiti
Thursday, September 20, 2012, by Dave Hogarty
Faculty against the NYU-Sexton, which will subject the school’s Washington Square neighborhood to a decades-long period of construction, recruited the A/V club from Occupy Wall Street to project a number of anti-plan messages on structures around the square. Occupy Wall Street’s “Illuminator” van uses a high-powered projector to shine images on vertical spaces. It’s like the bat signal crossed with PowerPoint. Last night’s displays were coordinated by the NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan, which previously published a book criticizing the NYU 2031 plan as physically and culturally destructive to the Village and potentially financially ruinous to the university itself.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Talking Points Memo
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- Writers Voice
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.