(pssst … you can get a copy of While We Were Sleeping; NYU and the Destruction of New York here: http://bit.ly/NK2SMb)
Top 9 Rips Against NYU by People Who Love the School, Hate Expansion
Monday, August 13, 2012, by Dave Hogarty
“While We Were Sleeping; NYU and the Destruction of New York” is a piece of paperback protest published by writers and educators agains NYU’s current expansion plans in Greenwich Village and in support of NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan. It’s a quick read and easy to one-hand on the subway, where you’ll get some nods of agreement or eye-rolls from fellow straphangers acknowledging the title. To say that the NYU 2031 (or Sexton) Plan has generated strong feelings in opposition would be an understatement. Within the book’s covers, some of the Village’s most skilled wordsmiths use their talents to rip their employer/neighbor/benefactor a new one. We’ve chosen nine of our favorites:
There is no evidence that NYU will ever be able to pay for its expansion, nor has the university made any effort to provide any. I think NYU is going to go bankrupt before the construction is finished, and the Village will become a Detroit-esque necropolis of abandoned buildings with tattered, neglected NYU flags flying in front.—Patrick W. Gallagher
With mortgage and other credit markets still in the doldrums, universities have become a very attractive option for investors looking for high returns on debt-financed growth. Money capital has poured into construction bonds, student loans, and other financial instruments spun out of the tuition bubble. When FIRE [finance, insurance, and real estate industries] gets hooked on ICE [intellectual, cultural, and education industries], the result is a vast pool of melted water, in which the indebted are already half-drowning.—Andrew Ross
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- Thom Hartmann
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- History Unfolding
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.