Over 14,000 of you asked Ecuador to grant asylum to the founder of WikiLeaks, Julian Assange. That nation’s embassy in Washington publicly and favorably acknowleged your support, and yesterday Ecuador’s government granted asylum.
Let’s thank Ecuador. Please forward to your friends asking them to do the same.
The UK has threatened to raid the Ecuadorian embassy in London where Assange is now. This would violate an inviolable international standard. The BBC reported last night that Britain’s foreign secretary, William Hague, “said the UK would not allow Mr. Assange safe passage out of the country.”
We don’t know the facts behind the sexual assault accusations against Assange and can take no position on them. We take sexual assault seriously. But the WikiLeaks leader is seeking protection from the United States, not Sweden.
WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange offered to go to Sweden — if Sweden would not extradite him to the United States on “espionage” charges — and Sweden refused. Assange has not been charged with any crime in any country. Persecution for acts of journalism must be prevented, and you are doing your part. Ecuador deserves the world’s thanks, and the UK our outrage.
RootsAction is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and there are two things you can do to expand our collective power.
1) Forward this email to everyone you know with a note encouraging them to join us, perhaps by signing our petition to NBC opposing its new War-o-Tainment show.
There are few U.S.-based organizations that can be relied on to push in a principled manner for peace and justice regardless of which political party is in power, and to do so effectively. RootsAction is beginning to fill that gap. Can you help keep us alive and growing?
— The RootsAction team
P.S. RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg, Glenn Greenwald, Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura Flanders, former U.S. Senator James Abourezk, Coleen Rowley, and many others.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Mainstream Baptist
- Richard Charnin
- t r u t h o u t
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.