That’s why they steal elections—to make it look as if their fringe positions have majority support.
Heartland Institute and Scott Walker Join Forces
The Wisconsin governor will help raise money for climate deniers this August.
By Kate Sheppard | Fri Jun. 29, 2012 12:41 PM PDT
Now that he survived his recall election, Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker is lending his support to an upcoming fundraiser for the Heartland Institute, a climate-denying think-tank.
On August 9, Heartland will celebrate its 28th anniversary  with a $150-a-head dinner in Chicago (or you can just buy a whole table for $2,500). Heartland has grabbed plenty of headlines this year. In February, a bunch of internal Heartland documents  were published detailing the group’s climate miseducation plans (along with one document that the group says was a fake). In May, the group put up controversial billboards comparing people who believe in climate change to the Unabomber . (Climate change isn’t the only issue Heartland brings its “free-market solutions” to address, but it’s the one the group has become most infamous for.)
The billboard incident has caused several funders  to drop their support for the group, to the tune of $825,000  in lost donations. Enter Walker, who they described in an email to supporters as “the nation’s most influential and successful governor.” The email promises that the dinner “will be the biggest celebration of freedom in Chicago in 2012.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- alias Bruce
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Matters
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Election Defense Alliance
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.