NYU Plan Doesn’t Get Greenlight from Faculty. Some Say They’ll Walk Away.
Christina Mulligan | July 24, 2012 4:07 PM
This rendering shows how NYU intends to expand in Greenwich Village by 2031. The school says it needs to grow to survive, but many neighbors say the plan will overwhelm their historic neighborhood. Image courtesy of New York University.
New York University’s plan to expand the college in order to grow and stay competitive may require hiring a new team in the coming years. If the plan gets approved on Wednesday by the City Council, many distinguished faculty members have indicated they’ll leave.
“Already I’m starting to hear from colleagues who are seeking bids from other universities. They tell me that they have to do it. They just can’t imagine subjecting their kids to this sort of ordeal,” said Jan Blustein, Ph.D. professor of Health Policy and Medicine at the university.
Patrick Deer, associate professor of English at the university, explains the “sort of ordeal” that the students will have to go through is having their wallets emptied by the financial burden of the expansion. With New York University’s small endowment, 75 percent of university expenses is met by student tuition. Taking on a project this large and costly will likely hike up the price of education there.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Election Defense Alliance
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Early America
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Ostroy Report
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.