NYU expansion is insult and injury to the Village
The university’s plan would run roughshod over a great neighborhood
By E.l. Doctorow / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Wednesday, July 25, 2012, 4:05 AM
This is the familiar story of a corporation versus people. New York University has morphed into a corporation. The people whom it would ride over with its vast, “NYU 2031” expansion plan are not only residents of Greenwich Village, whose open spaces and gardens and historic streets are to be torn up and inundated in dust and debris and left in the shadow of skyscrapers, but the men and women within the university who define its reason for being.
Thirty-four academic departments of NYU have passed resolutions against this plan, most of them unanimously. Hundreds of faculty have signed on to an ad hoc protest against the plan. But the voices of thousands of people both in and outside the university seem to be of no consequence when measured against the corporate voices of the university administration and its real estate-heavy board of trustees.
A City Council committee last week proposed modest changes to the expansion, including scaling back aboveground construction by 212,000 square feet. But that’s only a 17% diminution of the university’s — or corporation’s — monarchal ambitions.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Thom Hartmann
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- t r u t h o u t
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.