What will Washington do about Fernando Lugo’s ouster in Paraguay?
This hasty, trumped-up impeachment of President Lugo amounts to a coup d’etat. The US must back democratic process
guardian.co.uk, Friday 22 June 2012 16.17 EDT
A coup d’etat is taking place right now, Friday afternoon, in Paraguay.
That is how it has been described by a number of neighboring governments. And the Union of South American Nations (UNASUR) is treating it as such, taking it very seriously. All 12 foreign ministers (including those of Brazil and Argentina, who are deeply concerned) flew to Asunción Thursday night to meet with the government, as well as the opposition in Paraguay’s Congress.
The Congress of Paraguay is trying to oust the president, Fernando Lugo, by means of an impeachment proceeding for which he was given less than 24 hours to prepare and only two hours to present a defense. It appears that a decision to convict him has already been written, and will be presented Friday evening (at 20.30 GMT). It would be impossible to call this due process under any circumstances, but it is also a clear violation of Article 17 of Paraguay’s constitution, which provides for the right to an adequate defense.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- NYU’s horrific plan for Greenwich Village—and how you can help us STOP it!
- New York City hasn’t had this many homeless children since the Great Depression
- An online auction that will rock your world—and help us save the Village!
- Obama’s TPP is everything that Ronald Reagan ever hoped for
- Japan state secrets bill “approved” by force, as Abe starts new “reign of terror” to keep Fukushima under wraps (7)
- fasdffsd on Craiglist ad seeks “writers to post Right-Wing Comments to social media & news outlets”
- Internet Marketing Agentur 6020 on Private cop organization, linked to DHS, helped plan raids on OWS nationwide
- wombat on What’s the matter with Alabama? Roger Shuler kept in jail indefinitely, paraded into court IN CHAINS
- Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014 :: News … | Save The Pacific Ocean on Fukushima’s toxic ocean plume will reach US waters in 2014
- Gus Wynn on Does Rachel Maddow lay off MSNBC sponsors?
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren's petition to halt "fast track" of TPP!
- Iceland, in a peaceful revolution, busts the banksters & throws out its government! (Now THAT's democracy!)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Clear Channel to shut down leftwing talk stations in LA, SF
- NYU's horrific plan for Greenwich Village—and how you can help us STOP it!
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Talking Points Memo
- t r u t h o u t
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Existentialist Cowboy
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.