‘Hoo Makes the Call?
UVa president’s ouster centers on disagreement in pace of change
CHARLOTTESVILLE, VA. — Over the past 10 days, it has become clear that the University of Virginia’s Board of Visitors wants something other than “business as usual.” That’s exactly what it got Monday, and, technically, part of Tuesday morning.
On any given summer day on this campus, when the majority of students are away and faculty members are busy catching up on papers, the main quadrangle, called “The Lawn,” would be tranquil, even bucolic.
Monday was a different story. An estimated 2,000 faculty members, students, staff, and alumni filled the Lawn to protest the removal of the university’s president, Teresa Sullivan, after less than two years in office. Inside the university’s historic Rotunda, the board met for almost 12 hours — mostly behind closed doors — to appoint an interim president and discuss the university’s future. The board’s meeting stretched until past 2:30 a.m., and a small group, composed predominantly of students, waited outside the building to question board members as they left the building.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
- alias Bruce
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.