IN THE REGION | NEW JERSEY
A Battle Over Faculty Housing
By JILL P. CAPUZZO
A FIGHT going on over a 22-acre Revolutionary War battlefield here is growing in intensity. Pitting scholars against historic preservationists, the conflict threatens to erase all traces of that earlier skirmish, which some historians consider the turning point of the War of Independence.
The property in question, owned by the Institute for Advanced Study, has recently been approved by the Princeton Regional Planning Board as the site for 15 faculty houses, covering 7 of the 22 acres. Those plans are being challenged by the Princeton Battlefield Society, a citizens group that views the site as the geographical fulcrum of George Washington’s counterattack against the British during the 1777 Battle of Princeton.
The dispute deepened two weeks ago when the National Trust for Historic Preservation listed the battlefield as one of the country’s 11 most endangered historic places, citing “inappropriate development” as the reason for its selection.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Richard Charnin
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- William Betz
- t r u t h o u t
- Media Channel
- Barry Gordon
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.