A theory of what led to Sullivan’s ouster
“This institution will be based on the illimitable freedom of the human mind. For here we are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it.”
– Thomas Jefferson to William Roscoe, 27 December 1820
This one’s for you, TJ.
I write this post as a proud UVA alumna (CLAS ’01), one who knows the devotion we alums share for the education we received at Virginia. UVA offers one of the best public educations in the nation, and it’s open to all who meet its rigorous standards. UVA is an institution with an incredible sense of groundedness, as well as a dynamic, thoughtful group of students, faculty, and administrators who care deeply about the place. For better and sometimes for worse, Mr. Jefferson’s University, TheUniversity, has not been easily moved by the fashions of the day. It’s a place where reason and truth are valued, and where students and faculty do not simply shrug off questionable actions as par for the course. It’s no surprise, then, that the lack of clarity and transparency over the sudden resignation of our President this past Sunday is eating away at many of us.
I am also a writer and historian, currently finishing up a Ph.D. in History at Duke University. The research skills I’ve learned at Duke and Virginia have enabled me to know where and how to find information quickly. When the news broke of President Sullivan’s sudden resignation from UVA, I became very curious. Sullivan arrived at UVA as a highly respected administrator of public higher education, one of the best in the business. Something must have gone very amiss for her to agree to resign in this way.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two things that never happened: "the Bowling Green massacre," and "Russia's invasion of Ukraine"
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Thom Hartmann
- William Betz
- Early America
- Media Matters
- Election Defense Alliance
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- t r u t h o u t
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Writers Voice
- Media Channel
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.