For Duquesne Professors, a Union Fight That Transcends Religion
By MARK OPPENHEIMER
Published: June 22, 2012
“Union busting is a mortal sin,” the Catholic Scholars for Worker Justice said in a 2010 statement on the indispensable role of unions. And while the church hierarchy has never quite put it that way, workers’ right to unionize is an issue on which church teachings are pretty clear.
Dr. Robin J. Sowards, an adjunct professor at Duquesne University, became one of the organizers in a fight to unionize.
In 1891, Pope Leo XIII wrote that the proliferation of unions was “greatly to be desired.” In 2009, Pope Benedict XVI wrote that unions “have always been encouraged and supported by the church.” The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops was more forthright in a 1986 pastoral letter: “No one may deny the right to organize without attacking human dignity itself.”
But that does not seem to be quite the position of administrators at Duquesne University, a Catholic institution in Pittsburgh. Adjunct professors are trying to organize a union there, and Duquesne is arguing that its affiliation with the Spiritans, a Roman Catholic order, affords it a special exemption from the jurisdiction of theNational Labor Relations Board. It’s a conflict between church and state, the school’s lawyer argues, to allow workers to file for a union election.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Online Journal
- Barry Gordon
- History Unfolding
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.