Critics Attack Closing of U. of Missouri Press
June 7, 2012, 4:57 pm
By Peter Monaghan
At a time when university presses are arguably faring relatively well, the decision of the University of Missouri System to shut down its press has angered many faculty members, authors, and supporters.
It has also drawn charges that administrators have abused the principles of academic shared governance.
On May 24, system administrators told the 10 employees of
Supporters work to save University of Missouri Press
University of Missouri plans to shut down 54-year-old publisher.
BY BLAKE URSCH
The Kansas City Star
Nancy Hill’s jaw dropped.
Officials had just announced that the University of Missouri Press, which has produced more than 2,000 titles over five decades, would be phased out beginning in July.
The future of her almost-completed book, a biography of powerful but little-known 20th century activist Grenville Clark, was up in the air.
Still in a daze, Hill, an administrator at UMKC’s Diastole Scholars’ Center, sat at her desk, which had once belonged to Clark himself, and wrote a letter to University of Missouri President Tim Wolfe.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The Ostroy Report
- Media Matters
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.