Conjuring the resistance to N.Y.U. 2031
June 21, 2012 | Filed under: In Pictures,News | Posted by: admin
Professor Mark Crispin Miller, a leader in N.Y.U. FASP (Faculty Against the Sexton Plan), was the closing speaker at a “Save the Village Benefit” Monday night at New York Theater Workshop, 79 E. Fourth St. More than 120 people contributed $200 or more toward the benefit, which raised funds for a community lawsuit against New York University’s 2031 superblocks mega-development plan. A top law firm is representing the group largely pro bono, but FASP has been asked to raise $25,000 for a retainer. The event brought together activists who have been fighting large-scale projects around the city, from the Chelsea Market expansion to the Nets basketball arena and development project in Downtown Brooklyn. “We are the adults in this struggle — the faculty and the community are the realists,” said Miller, who teaches media studies. “Sexton is cracked,” he said of the university’s president. “This plan is so warped that even Robert Moses would hate it. I have confidence we can stop it.” The public hearing on N.Y.U.’s plan will be on Fri., June 29, starting at 9:30 a.m., at City Hall. The City Council is expected to vote on the plan in mid-July.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.