From Jonathan Simon in response to Australian journo gets it half-right about GOP plan to steal the next one, too:
Of course, but my only gloss on this, and I think it’s an important one, is that the infestation is by no means confined to the presidency (in fact, it would not be irrational to leave Obama in office till 2016 with a completely recalcitrant SC and Congress, and then bring in someone they greatly prefer to Romney, easy tool though he seems: say, Scott Walker), although that is what consumes 90%+ of the media’s and public’s attention.
The rigging of the House in 2010 has had monumental consequences, as has the almost certain rigging of at least a couple dozen statehouses, such that we now have those ALEC-drafted Voter ID laws as well as a decennial redistricting even more cynical that usual. In fact, if the rigging were just of the presidency, America would probably survive well enough, because there’d still be a political opportunity for balance and “checks and balances.” Karl Rove may be a genius, but it doesn’t take a genius to see that to get the “perpetual rule” he set forth as his goal, you have to corrupt at multiple levels.
Congress–and particularly the House, because of the gerrymandering that protects at least three-quarters of its members–really comes down to less than a hundred “swing” elections, and we’ve seen how those have gone since the riggers mastered the game, and after the falsely reassuring hiccups of 2006 and 2008, in which bizarre 11th-hour political developments (Foley et al, and Lehman Bros. repsectively) overcame enough of the rig to produce what we now recognize as anomalous Democratic victories. Just as Voter ID controversy, real as it is, operates as a kind of misdirection vis a vis the electronic rigging scheme, so does exclusive focus on the Presidential race create a huge blindspot for the full design and impact of the infestation.–Jon
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Thom Hartmann
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Early America
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Barry Gordon
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Channel
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Mainstream Baptist
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.