Why Fukushima Is a Greater Disaster than Chernobyl, and a Warning Sign for the U.S.
By Robert Alvarez
Institute for Policy Studies
April 20, 2012
The radioactive inventory of all the irradiated nuclear
fuel stored in spent fuel pools at Fukushima is far
greater and even more problematic than the molten cores.
In the aftermath of the world’s worst nuclear power
disaster, the news media is just beginning to grasp that
the dangers to Japan and the rest of the world posed by
the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site are far from over. After
repeated warnings by former senior Japanese officials,
nuclear experts, and now a U.S. Senator, it is sinking
in that the irradiated nuclear fuel stored in spent fuel
pools amidst the reactor ruins may have far greater
potential offsite consequences than the molten cores.
After visiting the site recently, Senator Ron Wyden (D-
OR) wrote to Japan’s ambassador to the U.S. stating
that, “loss of containment in any of these pools could
result in an even greater release than the initial
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Massive protest fails to halt tuition hikes at UC
- TPP will let corporations rule the world—and so the corporate press has blacked it out…
- Cult-like corporation takes a shot at freedom of the press
- UK students offer model for the world, by marching for “free education”
- Testing for Ebola in a New York minute!
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- US news blackout on Ebola death in Brooklyn?
- US votes AGAINST resolution condemning the glorification of Nazism
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Cody Lyon
- Democratic Undergroud
- The Rude Pudit
- Early America
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Thom Hartmann
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Talking Points Memo
- History Unfolding
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.