Why Fukushima Is a Greater Disaster than Chernobyl, and a Warning Sign for the U.S.
By Robert Alvarez
Institute for Policy Studies
April 20, 2012
The radioactive inventory of all the irradiated nuclear
fuel stored in spent fuel pools at Fukushima is far
greater and even more problematic than the molten cores.
In the aftermath of the world’s worst nuclear power
disaster, the news media is just beginning to grasp that
the dangers to Japan and the rest of the world posed by
the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site are far from over. After
repeated warnings by former senior Japanese officials,
nuclear experts, and now a U.S. Senator, it is sinking
in that the irradiated nuclear fuel stored in spent fuel
pools amidst the reactor ruins may have far greater
potential offsite consequences than the molten cores.
After visiting the site recently, Senator Ron Wyden (D-
OR) wrote to Japan’s ambassador to the U.S. stating
that, “loss of containment in any of these pools could
result in an even greater release than the initial
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- Kiev’s forces failing in the East
- We’re paying dearly for Barack Obama’s faux-progressive dance
- Vexed by dissidents in parliament, Ukraine’s president dissolves it
- “Bad teachers” are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- "Bad teachers" are the cause of US inequality, according to Bill Gates. (Did he learn that in school?)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Special Branch protected elite British pedophiles
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- The Rude Pudit
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Words of Power
- Media Matters
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Cody Lyon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.