Why Fukushima Is a Greater Disaster than Chernobyl, and a Warning Sign for the U.S.
By Robert Alvarez
Institute for Policy Studies
April 20, 2012
The radioactive inventory of all the irradiated nuclear
fuel stored in spent fuel pools at Fukushima is far
greater and even more problematic than the molten cores.
In the aftermath of the world’s worst nuclear power
disaster, the news media is just beginning to grasp that
the dangers to Japan and the rest of the world posed by
the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site are far from over. After
repeated warnings by former senior Japanese officials,
nuclear experts, and now a U.S. Senator, it is sinking
in that the irradiated nuclear fuel stored in spent fuel
pools amidst the reactor ruins may have far greater
potential offsite consequences than the molten cores.
After visiting the site recently, Senator Ron Wyden (D-
OR) wrote to Japan’s ambassador to the U.S. stating
that, “loss of containment in any of these pools could
result in an even greater release than the initial
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Cody Lyon
- Veterans for Common Sense
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Words of Power
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- alias Bruce
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.