Why Fukushima Is a Greater Disaster than Chernobyl, and a Warning Sign for the U.S.
By Robert Alvarez
Institute for Policy Studies
April 20, 2012
The radioactive inventory of all the irradiated nuclear
fuel stored in spent fuel pools at Fukushima is far
greater and even more problematic than the molten cores.
In the aftermath of the world’s worst nuclear power
disaster, the news media is just beginning to grasp that
the dangers to Japan and the rest of the world posed by
the Fukushima-Dai-Ichi site are far from over. After
repeated warnings by former senior Japanese officials,
nuclear experts, and now a U.S. Senator, it is sinking
in that the irradiated nuclear fuel stored in spent fuel
pools amidst the reactor ruins may have far greater
potential offsite consequences than the molten cores.
After visiting the site recently, Senator Ron Wyden (D-
OR) wrote to Japan’s ambassador to the U.S. stating
that, “loss of containment in any of these pools could
result in an even greater release than the initial
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU gave John Sexton’s son a duplex in the Village, despite a “severe housing shortage” for the faculty
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers “2 + 2 = 5!” (3 items)
- Kiev junta orders military to attack pro-Russian protesters (just after CIA’s John Brennan pays a secret visit there), says Yanukovich
- Holocaust memorial in Odessa (Ukraine) vandalized with swastikas
- Hillary loves Boeing, just like Bush/Cheney did
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Brian on In California, GMO food labeling law will be on ballots on Election Day!
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Kiev brownshirts thrash a presidential candidate as NYTimes hollers "2 + 2 = 5!" (3 items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- NYU gave John Sexton's son a duplex in the Village, despite a "severe housing shortage" for the faculty
- Obama didn't prosecute Bush/Cheney out of fear he'd end up like Paul Wellstone
- Talking Points Memo
- The Ostroy Report
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Media Matters
- History Unfolding
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The International Human Press
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Democratic Undergroud
- Words of Power
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.