Opposition not likely to change decision to close UM Press
By Dale Singer, Beacon staff
7:46 am on Thu, 05.31.12
Shouldn’t a university that pays its football coach $2.7 million a year be able to subsidize its university press with $400,000?
That’s the question asked by opponents of the planned shutdown of the University of Missouri Press. Tim Wolfe, president of the university system, said last week that the press did not fit into the school’s main priorities, so it would close down as part of an analysis of the school’s budget in tough financial times.
As word spread of his decision, opposition quickly arose. A Facebook page called “Save the University of MIssouri Press” had more than 800 “likes” as of Wednesday afternoon, with some scathing comments as well some decidedly unscholarly language like “bone-head decision.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Democrats are partying like it’s 1952, and they’re Republicans—or Birchers.
- Two more on why Flynn went down…
- Why they made Trump dump Flynn (and what about Obama?)
- What news out of Japan is “fit to print,” according to the New York Times? Their choice could make you sick…
- On “killers” working for OUR government, Trump spoke the truth—and our “free press” freaked out…
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- Democrats are partying like it's 1952, and they're Republicans—or Birchers.
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Two more on why Flynn went down...
- Local sheriff wanted Phillip Marshall's home professionally cleaned after the murder
- History Unfolding
- t r u t h o u t
- The International Human Press
- Online Journal
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Words of Power
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Cody Lyon
- William Betz
- Writers Voice
- Media Matters
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
- Barry Gordon
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.