The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb
By Brad Jacobson, AlterNet
Posted on May 4, 2012, Printed on May 5, 2012
More than a year after the triple meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, the Japanese government, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) present similar assurances of the site’s current state: challenges remain but everything is under control. The worst is over.
But nuclear waste experts say the Japanese are literally playing with fire in the way nuclear spent fuel continues to be stored onsite, especially in reactor 4, which contains the most irradiated fuel — 10 times the deadly cesium-137 released during the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident. These experts also charge that the NRC is letting this threat fester because acknowledging it would call into question safety at dozens of identically designed nuclear power plants around the U.S., which contain exceedingly higher volumes of spent fuel in similar elevated pools outside of reinforced containment.
Reactor 4: The Most Imminent Threat
The spent fuel in the hobbled unit 4 at Fukushima Daiichi not only sits in an elevated pool outside the reactor core’s reinforced containment, in a high-consequence earthquake zone adjacent to the ocean — just as nearly all the spent fuel at the nuclear site is stored — but it’s also open to the elements because a hydrogen explosion blew off the roof during the early days of the accident and sent the building into a list.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- What they’re fighting for in East Ukraine (MUST-SEE)
- A Guatemalan warns that the US police are now just like the (US-trained) police in Guatemala (and Honduras, El Salvador, Colombia…)
- 6 Big Lies about Ukraine and Russia
- Putin needs “a bullet in the back of the head,” says ex-CIA (sic) official
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its “profile” of Vandana Shiva
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- http://iclworld.ru on Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the “case” against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Pressure at work on “Liberal election fraud running rampant” in Arizona, say Tea-Baggers!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- 6 Big Lies about Ukraine and Russia
- The New Yorker scores one for Monsanto with its "profile" of Vandana Shiva
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- What they're fighting for in East Ukraine (MUST-SEE)
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- The Ostroy Report
- Talking Points Memo
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Early America
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.