The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb
By Brad Jacobson, AlterNet
Posted on May 4, 2012, Printed on May 5, 2012
More than a year after the triple meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, the Japanese government, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) present similar assurances of the site’s current state: challenges remain but everything is under control. The worst is over.
But nuclear waste experts say the Japanese are literally playing with fire in the way nuclear spent fuel continues to be stored onsite, especially in reactor 4, which contains the most irradiated fuel — 10 times the deadly cesium-137 released during the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident. These experts also charge that the NRC is letting this threat fester because acknowledging it would call into question safety at dozens of identically designed nuclear power plants around the U.S., which contain exceedingly higher volumes of spent fuel in similar elevated pools outside of reinforced containment.
Reactor 4: The Most Imminent Threat
The spent fuel in the hobbled unit 4 at Fukushima Daiichi not only sits in an elevated pool outside the reactor core’s reinforced containment, in a high-consequence earthquake zone adjacent to the ocean — just as nearly all the spent fuel at the nuclear site is stored — but it’s also open to the elements because a hydrogen explosion blew off the roof during the early days of the accident and sent the building into a list.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- A look back at how the US destroyed Libya
- Howling over Putin’s crimes (?), US backs the killers in Ukraine and Gaza
- Why do university administrators get paid so much (and for doing WHAT, exactly)?
- How natural gas—Obama’s panacea—-makes global warming WORSE
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Lest we forget: US shot down a civilian airliner, killing 290 people; then lied about it (and never apologized)
- Mortality rate at Goldman Sachs spikes yet AGAIN as managing director dies in "kite surfing accident"
- MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites--unless you pay extra
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- William Betz
- Democratic Undergroud
- Thom Hartmann
- Barry Gordon
- Evil GOP Bastards
- t r u t h o u t
- Early America
- History Unfolding
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.