The Worst Yet to Come? Why Nuclear Experts Are Calling Fukushima a Ticking Time-Bomb
By Brad Jacobson, AlterNet
Posted on May 4, 2012, Printed on May 5, 2012
More than a year after the triple meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant, the Japanese government, Tokyo Electric Power Company (Tepco) and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) present similar assurances of the site’s current state: challenges remain but everything is under control. The worst is over.
But nuclear waste experts say the Japanese are literally playing with fire in the way nuclear spent fuel continues to be stored onsite, especially in reactor 4, which contains the most irradiated fuel — 10 times the deadly cesium-137 released during the 1986 Chernobyl nuclear accident. These experts also charge that the NRC is letting this threat fester because acknowledging it would call into question safety at dozens of identically designed nuclear power plants around the U.S., which contain exceedingly higher volumes of spent fuel in similar elevated pools outside of reinforced containment.
Reactor 4: The Most Imminent Threat
The spent fuel in the hobbled unit 4 at Fukushima Daiichi not only sits in an elevated pool outside the reactor core’s reinforced containment, in a high-consequence earthquake zone adjacent to the ocean — just as nearly all the spent fuel at the nuclear site is stored — but it’s also open to the elements because a hydrogen explosion blew off the roof during the early days of the accident and sent the building into a list.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- US cops snatch hundreds of millions—legally—from motorists who’ve done no wrong
- Koch fiends in Wisconsin Senate poised to scrap 48-hour wait before handgun purchase
- Comcast throws in the towel, won’t eat Time Warner after all
- “Why Obama Should Pardon Don Siegelman” (Jeffrey Toobin in The New Yorker!)
- California’s not the only one: 40 states will start going dry in next ten years
- FBI charged with “whitewash” of Saudi link to 9/11 on
- TEPCO slammed for year-long cover-up of latest radioactive leak on
- If Jeb Bush steals the White House, he’ll cut Medicaid, raise the retirement age, means test Social Security, and…. on
- Don Siegelman won’t be released from prison (WHY won’t Obama pardon him?) on
- Democrats won’t say a word about high-flying pedophile (and FOB) Jeffrey Epstein—and neither will Republicans! (How come?) on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Democratic Undergroud
- The International Human Press
- Richard Charnin
- History Unfolding
- The Rude Pudit
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Election Defense Alliance
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Media Matters
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- t r u t h o u t
- Thom Hartmann
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.