University of Missouri Press will shut down
By Dale Singer, Beacon staff
The University of Missouri Press, which has published hundreds of books about the state and region for more than 50 years, will be phased out beginning next year as the university system concentrates on six priorities more closely aligned with its mission.
A statement released by the university said it is reviewing business operations of the press — which receives an annual subsidy from the university of $400,000 but operates at a deficit — to determine how to carry out the phase-out, which will begin in the next fiscal year. No timeline has been established for it to be completed.
“Similar to other industries,” the statement said, “scholarly publishing is dramatically changing due to emerging technology, making traditional publishing very challenging. Typically, most scholarly presses do not generate revenue for universities — with most just trying to break even.”
University President Tim Wolfe, who took office this year, has established six strategic priorities for the system to focus on: focused strategic planning; attracting and retaining the best people; innovative instruction; operational excellence; expanded research and economic development; and effective communication of our value and importance.
Closure of Press attracts national attention
By JANESE SILVEY
Posted May 25, 2012 at 8:12 p.m.
The reaction to yesterday’s news of the University of Missouri Press closing because new system President Tim Wolfe wants to prove he’s a good steward of money has been interesting and not unlike the reaction to March’s news of NSEI being shut down.
Locals aren’t up in arms. People who are more familiar with the implications of the decision are. And the protests and observations are coming from around the country.
One Comment to “Darkness spreading in the heartland: University of Missouri Press to be shut down (2 items)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Barry Gordon
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
- Media Channel
- Media Matters
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Mainstream Baptist
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- t r u t h o u t
- Writers Voice
- The Rude Pudit
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.