Faculty Gives Yale a Dose of Dissent Over Singapore
Rendering by Yale-NUS College
By TAMAR LEWIN
Published: April 4, 2012
NEW HAVEN — Yale announced a year ago that it was creating the “first new college to bear the Yale name in 300 years” at the National University of Singapore, and last week, after reviewing 2,500 applications, it sent out the first handful of faculty job offers for Yale-N.U.S. College.
So it is distinctly awkward timing that members of the Yale College faculty, which never voted on the plan, are now raising concerns about joining their storied institution with an autocratic city-state where drug offenses can bring the death penalty, homosexual relations are illegal and criminal defamation charges are aggressively pursued.
On campus, there is a whiff of a Yale Spring, a slow awakening — at a university with no faculty senate — to faculty discontent. Many Yale professors are unhappy about the absence of a vote on the Singapore project, while some go further and attack it as a dangerous collaboration with a government that does not support the broad freedoms they believe are central to liberal arts education.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Russian Air Force hit 10 ISIS targets in the last 24 hours (VIDEOS)
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn’t bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who’s Donald Trump? Watch the documentary that he suppressed for 25 years!
- 50 years ago, Suharto slaughtered over 500,000 Indonesians—with US help, or guidance (all still hidden)
- There may be water flowing on Mars! (But is there intelligent life on Earth?)
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who's Donald Trump? Watch the documentary that he suppressed for 25 years!
- NY Fed moving to Chicago, Feds stocking up on ammo, NORAD hunkering down: What's up?
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- The International Human Press
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- The Ostroy Report
- Words of Power
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Media Channel
- Democratic Undergroud
- Online Journal
- Mainstream Baptist
- alias Bruce
- Richard Charnin