Faculty Gives Yale a Dose of Dissent Over Singapore
Rendering by Yale-NUS College
By TAMAR LEWIN
Published: April 4, 2012
NEW HAVEN — Yale announced a year ago that it was creating the “first new college to bear the Yale name in 300 years” at the National University of Singapore, and last week, after reviewing 2,500 applications, it sent out the first handful of faculty job offers for Yale-N.U.S. College.
So it is distinctly awkward timing that members of the Yale College faculty, which never voted on the plan, are now raising concerns about joining their storied institution with an autocratic city-state where drug offenses can bring the death penalty, homosexual relations are illegal and criminal defamation charges are aggressively pursued.
On campus, there is a whiff of a Yale Spring, a slow awakening — at a university with no faculty senate — to faculty discontent. Many Yale professors are unhappy about the absence of a vote on the Singapore project, while some go further and attack it as a dangerous collaboration with a government that does not support the broad freedoms they believe are central to liberal arts education.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- “Conspiracy theorists” are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- GOP must “elect” more governors, so they can (continue to) control “voting mechanisms,” Chris Christie says
- ISIS, Inc. (They’re making out like bandits…)
- NYPD arrests a musician for singing, although he broke no law (VIDEO)
- Greece is losing its free press to fascist violence
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- GOP site offers plan to infiltrate left/liberal sites with trolls posing as "progressives"
- "Conspiracy theorists" are more rational than those who smear them, study finds
- The Ostroy Report
- Cody Lyon
- The International Human Press
- Mainstream Baptist
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- Words of Power
- Online Journal
- Election Defense Alliance
- Early America
- The Rude Pudit
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Richard Charnin
- William Betz
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.