Faculty Gives Yale a Dose of Dissent Over Singapore
Rendering by Yale-NUS College
By TAMAR LEWIN
Published: April 4, 2012
NEW HAVEN — Yale announced a year ago that it was creating the “first new college to bear the Yale name in 300 years” at the National University of Singapore, and last week, after reviewing 2,500 applications, it sent out the first handful of faculty job offers for Yale-N.U.S. College.
So it is distinctly awkward timing that members of the Yale College faculty, which never voted on the plan, are now raising concerns about joining their storied institution with an autocratic city-state where drug offenses can bring the death penalty, homosexual relations are illegal and criminal defamation charges are aggressively pursued.
On campus, there is a whiff of a Yale Spring, a slow awakening — at a university with no faculty senate — to faculty discontent. Many Yale professors are unhappy about the absence of a vote on the Singapore project, while some go further and attack it as a dangerous collaboration with a government that does not support the broad freedoms they believe are central to liberal arts education.
The Hidden History of the JFK Assassination
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two countries don’t guarantee paid maternity leave: Papua New Guinea—and the USA!
- Chicago PMI marks biggest drop since October, 2008
- Average US household worth 1/3 less, while assets of the 1% keep soaring…
- What is stray current doing to us? The utilities don’t want us asking…
- Veteran spooks call on Obama to release the evidence (if any) that the Russians did it
- Gary Ravetto on Don’t let them STARVE Don Siegelman!
- ray on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Bruce P., M.D. on After David Koch leaves NIH board, NIH classifies formaldehyde—a big Koch product—as a cause of cancer
- Jonny Fredagsvik on MetroPCS is blocking Netflix, Skype and other sites–unless you pay extra
- Uncle Sam on Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries!
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- On MH17, some theories that make sense (unlike the shrill crapola we keep hearing)
- FL cop forces drunk man to move his car, then shoots him dead when he bumps into other cars
- URGENT! Don and Lori Siegelman need your help!
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Talking Points Memo
- Thom Hartmann
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- William Betz
- The Rude Pudit
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Richard Charnin
- Election Defense Alliance
- The International Human Press
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.