Expand Minds, Not the N.Y.U. Campus
By ERNEST DAVIS, PATRICK DEER and MARK CRISPIN MILLER
Published: April 25, 2012
FOR much of the last decade, universities across the country have been spending many millions on construction projects, building grand new campuses to draw more students.
That national trend has a strong champion in New York University’s president, John Sexton, the driving force behind N.Y.U. 2031 — a plan for a huge expansion of the school’s Greenwich Village campus as well as additional buildings in other parts of the city, including downtown Brooklyn.
The project has roused fierce opposition in the Village, which has largely been belittled or ignored. In Mr. Sexton’s view, N.Y.U.’s angry neighbors just can’t see that “universities must grow to maintain excellence,” as he said recently. Newspaper editorials have dismissed the plan’s opponents as a small but loud minority of “Luddites” and “anti-building zealots.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Democratic Undergroud
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- Early America
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Evil GOP Bastards
- alias Bruce
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.