Pentagon Says Military Will Still Air Limbaugh
March 05, 2012
Associated Press|by Lolita C. Baldor
WASHINGTON – A Pentagon spokesman says the military’s network will continue to air Rush Limbaugh’s radio program.
George Little says the American Forces Network offers a wide range of programming to reflect listeners’ interests and he is unaware of any plans to review that decision.
From Matt Osborne:
Rush Limbaugh’s blithering misogyny does not belong on the Armed Forces Radio Network. What was once an entertaining act has become disgusting tripe. As a veteran, I am appalled that Rush Limbaugh still appears on taxpayer-provided airwaves meant for American service members. His misogyny is contrary to good order and discipline in the ranks at a time that women are being admitted into combat arms units. So today’s project is to get people to sign this White House petition calling on Defense Secretary Leon Panetta to remove him from the lineup, and to whip up what support I can.
VoteVets weighed in today:
“Rush Limbaugh has a freedom of speech and can say what he wants, but in light of his horribly misogynistic comments, American Forces Radio should no longer give him a platform. Our entire military depends on troops respecting each other – women and men. There simply can be no place on military airwaves for sentiments that would undermine that respect. When many of our female troops use birth control, for Limbaugh to say they are “sluts” and “prostitutes” is beyond the pale. It isn’t just disrespectful to our women serving our country, but it’s language that goes against everything that makes our military work. Again, we swore to uphold our Constitution, including the freedom of speech, and would not take that away from anyone – even Limbaugh. But that does not mean AFN should broadcast him. In fact, it shouldn’t.
Well said. We’re not “oppressing” Rush Limbaugh. He’s free to speak, and so are we. AFN is free to make a choice in content. We’re free to tell them what we think. Rush Limbaugh has no one to blame for this except Rush Limbaugh. He used his free speech badly, and it wasn’t the first time.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- alias Bruce
- Media Channel
- The International Human Press
- Words of Power
- The Ostroy Report
- Mainstream Baptist
- Online Journal
- Cody Lyon
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Richard Charnin
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Talking Points Memo
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.