Naomi Wolf via Facebook:
Reposting. Unbelievable. The American President and Congress have just declared war on Americans and on the Constitution: “Wayne Vokovich: Obama signs Trespass Bill/HR 347 into law. This is UNREAL! I literally cannot wrap my head around this and my head is spinning. There was no discussion, no debate, no democracy, no due diligence, just heavy handed self-interest from public servants who have, through misguided hubris and extreme arrogance, redefined their own authorities. They fear us, and as a result, they have abandonded us. It is clear now that there is a quickening, a rush to tyranny, and my heart aches. Not only for myself, but for you and for our future. It’s as if we were trapped in the ever elongating hallway nightmare. But this too will end. These unconstitutional, criminal acts by our President and our governement are illegitimate. These acts hold no power over us unless we choose to alllow it. Do not allow it. We must continue with peaceful, non-violent protest and civil disobedience in opposition to these criminal acts and to those sure to come. We must work together and organize. We are many. We must seek out the strength and comfort that comes from sharing the truth. Be strong. We can learn from history. We have been warned by Holocaust survivors not to go quietly in to the night. We will not go quietly in to the night – never again. Many people over many centuries have faced tyranny and prevailed. We too will prevail. We know what must be done. It’s time to set about doing.”
why? why? why was this passed with almost unanimous consent? I don’t understand why there was no debate…I don’t understand why such broad support for it…it hands over power to lock everyone up for ten years even if they don’t know something is ‘restricted’ to DHS.
“A funny thing happened on the way to stop Obama from signing HR 347 …”
by FRANK GORMLIE on MARCH 9, 2012 · 6 COMMENTS
in AMERICAN EMPIRE, CIVIL RIGHTS, ORGANIZING, POLITICS
A funny thing happened on the way to figuring how to get President Obama not to sign HR 347. Yesterday late afternoon, I was on an urgent national conference call to discuss how to stop the bill. HR 347 is a bill that was passed with lightening speed with almost no opposition just recently by the Senate and House.
During the call, we were told that the bill is on President Obama’s desk and that he had until March 12th to sign it or veto it. This national phone connect was a “call to action” against the bill.
The bill has been nicknamed the “anti-Occupy Wall Street” bill, the “No Trespass” bill, the “end of dissent” law, and various other terms to describe its potential draconian effects on protest and dissent in America. It authorizes restricted zones where all protest is banned in and around government buildings and facilities, and bans protest around those receiving Secret Service protection. It does more and I’ve included its text – scroll down. “It kills protest around these people,” a moderator flatly stated at the beginning of the call.
One Comment to “Passed instantly, with no debate—and then signed quickly by Obama—HR 347 is our Enabling Act. (Look it up.)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- NYU reneges on its loud promises to pay the migrant workers who built its Abu Dhabi campus
- Why did Bernie pull his punches?
- OOPS! Victim testimonies in UK child sex abuse inquiry ALL DELETED (quite by accident, of course)
- “Untold number of civilians” slaughtered by Obama’s (airborne) Murder, Inc.
- To censor a live feed of the debate, CNN shuts down @Bernie2016tv
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- US forced Iraqis to buy seeds from Monsanto—and now we're ALL under the gun! (2)
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Where the money goes at NYU
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Talking Points Memo
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Thom Hartmann
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- The Ostroy Report
- The Rude Pudit
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Barry Gordon
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.