Online Voting ‘Premature,’ Warns Government Cybersecurity Expert
Warnings about the dangers of Internet voting have been growing as the 2012 election nears, and an especially noteworthy one came Thursday from a top cybersecurity official at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
Bruce McConnell told a group of election officials, academics and advocacy groups meeting in Santa Fe, N.M., that he believes “it’s premature to deploy Internet voting in real elections at this time.”
McConnell said voting systems are vulnerable and, “when you connect them to the Internet, that vulnerability increases.” He called security around Internet voting “immature and underresourced.”
One Comment to “Online voting? “Premature,” says government cybersecurity expert”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- With computerized elections, we’re all “voting” for the Iron Heel
- Wal-Mart cuts health benefits for 30,000 workers as its profits rise
- Tokyo “not fit for habitation,” doctor says, charging cover-up by WHO, IAEA, Japanese government
- Judge Richard Posner, Reagan appointee, now sees the light on voter ID laws
- Reagan-Appointed Federal Judge Who Approved First Photo ID Law in 2008 Writes Devastating Dissent AGAINST Photo ID Voting Restrictions
- Zack Taylor on Spooks in academia
- susan on Manhattan’s latest giant eyesore will have three floors just for “maid’s rooms”
- blaze doric on Calling Russia “the aggressor,” US is the one that wants a war
- Jonelle on Did Romney cheat as well as lie?
- Die Woche im Rückspiegel betrachtet | Lars Schall on Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Tokyo "not fit for habitation," doctor says, charging cover-up by WHO, IAEA, Japanese government
- WiFi sickens teacher, students in Los Angeles (school permits no incident reports)
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Media Channel
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- The Rude Pudit
- Evil GOP Bastards
- William Betz
- alias Bruce
- The Ostroy Report
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Richard Charnin
- Thom Hartmann
- Early America
- Mainstream Baptist
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- The International Human Press