News from Underground: The Future of the Occupation
“News from Underground” is hosted by Mark Crispin Miller, a professor at NYU and author of many books on politics and cultural history. In these tense times, there are many topics of extreme importance that the corporate media tends to ignore or misreport. “News from Underground” is a monthly series of panels that will deal honestly with these forbidden issues.
This special panel will focus on the future of OWS. It’s free and open to the public, but we’ll be accepting donations for Occupied Media. Panelists include David Graeber, Nicholas Mirzoeff, and Andrew Ross. Co-sponsored by Truthout.
David Graeber teaches anthropology at Goldsmiths College, University of London. He is the author of Debt: The First 5,000 Years, Towards an Anthropological Theory of Value, Lost People, and Possibilities: Essays on Hierarchy, Rebellion, and Desire. He has written for Harper’s, The Nation, Mute, and The New Left Review.
Nicholas Mirzoeff is Professor of Media, Culture and Communication at NYU. His many publications include The Right to Look: A Counterhistory of Visuality (2011) and An Introduction to Visual Culture (2009). He is active in Education and Empowerment and Direct Action at OWS. He has written about the movement for Occupy! and Public Culture as well as his ongoing durational writing project, Occupy 2012: a piece of writing on Occupy every day on 2012.
Andrew Ross is a Professor of Social and Cultural Analysis at NYU. A contributor to the Nation, the Village Voice, New York Times, and Artforum, he is the author of many books, including, most recently, Bird On Fire: Lessons from the World’s Least Sustainable City, Nice Work if You Can Get It: Life and Labor in Precarious Times, Fast Boat to China–Lessons from Shanghai, Low Pay, High Profile: The Global Push for Fair Labor, No-Collar: The Humane Workplace and its Hidden Costs, and The Celebration Chronicles: Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Property Value in Disney’s New Town. He is one of the organizers of the Occupy Student Debt Campaign.
52 Prince St
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Words of Power
- Cody Lyon
- Mainstream Baptist
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Suburban Guerrilla
- alias Bruce
- Election Defense Alliance
- Talking Points Memo
- Writers Voice
- William Betz
- Media Matters
- Thom Hartmann
- Online Journal
- Veterans for Common Sense
- t r u t h o u t
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Democratic Undergroud
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.