What: Rally to Oppose NYU Expansion/Debt Plan
When: Tuesday, February 21st @ 1PM
The NYU administration plans to expand the physical footprint of the university by 40% over the next two decades. Where will they get the $6 billion it will cost to pull this off? NYU refuses to answer this key question. But students and their families—already forced into over-borrowing to meet rising college costs—know that the funds will come from their ever-swelling debt burden.
The Occupy Student Debt Campaign, GSOC-UAW, and NYU4OWS will stage a rally on February 21st at 1pm to call attention to the injustice of NYU’s apparent business plan: Enroll ever more heavily indebted students to pay for the new buildings. The cost of this redevelopment is estimated at $6 billion—3 times the current endowment of NYU—and yet the administration has not been transparent about its fiscal plans. Asked how NYU will pay for this huge project, one senior administrator replied, more truthfully than she seemed to know: “NYU is not afraid of debt.”
NYU students already bear the heaviest debt burden in the nation (now at a volume 40% above the national average). Many will never be able to pay off their debts. As the cost of going to NYU keeps rising, it is these students’ future wages that will bankroll the biggest real estate development mounted in downtown Manhattan since the days of Robert Moses.
Reckless, debt-leveraged investment in new buildings has also jeopardized the fiscal health of other downtown colleges like the New School and the Cooper Union. But this is a nationwide pattern. Universities across the country have taken to funneling their stepped-up tuition fees into risk-prone real estate ventures.
The rally will feature speakers drawn from the faculty, students, and clerical and teaching unions at NYU. Members of the Greenwich Village community groups have also united in fierce opposition to the plan which they see as a threat to public health and the environment.
Occupy Student Debt Campaign is a subcommittee of the Empowerment and Education working group of Occupy Wall Street. For more, go to www.occupystudentdebtcampaign.org GSOC-UAW is the graduate student union at NYU. NYU4OWS is a group of students and faculty that stands in solidarity with Occupy Wall Street. Occupy Wall Street is a people-powered direct action movement that began on September 17, 2011 in Liberty Square in Manhattan’s Financial District. OWS is part of a growing international movement fighting against repressive economic practices, the crimes of Wall Street, government controlled by monied interests, and the resulting income inequality, unemployment, environmental destruction, and oppression of people at the front lines of the economic crisis. For more visit www.occupywallst.org
One Comment to “STUDENT DEBT will fund NYU’s “Sexton Plan” to shatter Greenwich Village (RALLY on 2/21!)”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Talking Points Memo
- The Rude Pudit
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Election Defense Alliance
- Democratic Undergroud
- Media Channel
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- William Betz
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- The International Human Press
- Media Matters
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Veterans for Common Sense
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.