Court: Monsanto Guilty of Chemical Poisoning in France
Common Dreams staff
Monday, February 13, 2012
A French court Monday found US agriculture giant Monsanto legally responsible for the poisoning of a farmer with one of its herbicides in 2004. “Monsanto is responsible for Paul Francois’ suffering after he inhaled the Lasso product… and must entirely compensate him,” said the judgement from the court in the southeastern city of Lyon. In 2004, Paul François, a cereal farmer in the southwestern department of Charente, opened the tank of his pulveriser machine. He inhaled fumes of Lasso, a weedkiller manufactured by Monsanto, and fainted. He was taken to hospital and stopped work for almost a year, reports radio station France Info. He suffers from memory loss and often feels faint.