NYU faculty and students recently joined longtime residents of Greenwich Village to protest the Sexton Plan—a hare-brained Trump-type overbuilding project that would turn a densely populated residential neighborhood into a live construction site for twenty years, wipe out some two acres of green space, privatize long swathes of public land, and, in the end, make Greenwich Village look like Abu Dhabi.
All that is bad enough; but that’s not all, because the Sexton Plan is just as bad for NYU itself as it is for the Village, New York City and the planet. While Sexton’s PR team insists the Plan will somehow make NYU stronger academically, and benefit the city economically, the fact—as more and more of NYU’s own faculty can see—is that the Plan will very likely trash the university, by making it a third-rate institution, or just bankrupting it: an outcome with no economic benefit to New York City.
The speakers at the rally made these points, among others, in focusing on how the Sexton Plan will be financed by student debt—a crucial point, since NYU’s graduates are burdened with more student debt than any other graduates in the country. That they should not only have to toil for years to pay it off, but also see it used to finance such a reckless and destructive project, was the rally’s message.
You can watch a video of the whole rally. The excerpt here features the remarks by Andrew Berman, director of the Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation, and MCM, of NYU Faculty Against the Sexton Plan.
p.s. On March 28, at 7:00 p.m., there will be a panel on the Sexton Plan, and what it says about the corporate university in general, at the McNally Jackson Bookstore, 52 Prince St., NYC. This NFU event, co-sponsored by Truthout.org, will feature authors Jennifer Washburn (University, Inc.), Sharon Zukin, Brooklyn College (Naked City), Tom Angotti, Hunter College (New York for Sale), and Andrew Ross, NYU (Nice Work If You Can Get It and Bird on Fire).
One Comment to “Is NYU a university,
or just a corporation?
Faculty say NO to Sexton Plan!”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Thom Hartmann
- Mainstream Baptist
- Suburban Guerrilla
- William Betz
- Words of Power
- Democratic Undergroud
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Talking Points Memo
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Richard Charnin
- Writers Voice
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Early America
- Cody Lyon
- t r u t h o u t
- Barry Gordon
- The Rude Pudit
- alias Bruce
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.