The Loyal Opposition – From the Desk of Andrew Rosenthal
February 3, 2012, 12:35 pm
The Komen Foundation Apologizes, Reverses on Planned Parenthood
By ANDREW ROSENTHAL
This morning, the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation reversed its decision to cut off funding for breast cancer screenings arranged by Planned Parenthood.
At a time when political leaders never admit fault and rarely accept responsibility, the Komen foundation did both, and that’s worth celebrating. “We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving lives,” the announcement said.
But the announcement was also somewhat disingenuous. The decision provoked outrage from supporters of the world’s largest breast cancer charity because it was unmistakably political. It came during a stepped-up campaign against Planned Parenthood by anti-abortion groups. And yet the foundation claimed it was “deeply distressed” at the suggestion that they’d acted “for political reasons or to specifically penalize Planned Parenthood.”
Komen recently adopted a rule that grant recipients cannot be the targets of state or Congressional investigations. It’s hard to see how that was not meant to single-out the reproductive health-care provider, which is currently under Congressional investigation.
One Comment to “Feeling the heat, Susan G. Komen WILL fund Planned Parenthood”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Early America
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- The Rude Pudit
- t r u t h o u t
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- History Unfolding
- Barry Gordon
- Election Defense Alliance
- Mainstream Baptist
- Writers Voice
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.