Yesterday, in just seven hours, more than half a million people joined the call of three dozen organizations and signed the petition to the Senate!
Meanwhile, Senate Republicans got one step closer, introducing their amendment to force approval of Keystone XL.
There are still a few hours left to keep the numbers climbing. If you haven’t already, read the message below and sign the petition before it’s delivered to the Senate this afternoon.
— Elijah Zarlin, CREDO Action
Dear Mark, The Senate could vote as early as tomorrow on a plan to greenlight construction of the Keystone XL Pipeline.
Despite President Obama’s rejection of the Keystone XL Pipeline a few weeks ago, Republicans in Congress are once again engaging in hostage-taking. Senator John Hoeven (R-ND) has introduced an amendment to the transportation bill that would force approval of Keystone XL.
Tragically, some moderate Democrats appear to be playing along — so this bill could have enough votes to pass.
No evaluation process. No National Interest Determination. No new route identified through Nebraska.
To demonstrate a massive, urgent, grassroots backlash, our friends at 350 have organized a 24-hour petition drive to the Senate. Nearly three dozen groups are emailing their members right now, and 350’s Bill McKibben will announce the effort tonight on the Colbert Report.
Republicans and some Democrats in Congress are so owned by Big Oil, that they are willing to bypass the pipeline review process designed to protect Americans from its very real danger.
Our grassroots pressure forced President Obama to reject the pipeline when Republicans tried to force a decision in 60 days. He said it wasn’t enough time for the thorough evaluation process we need.
Republicans are claiming that incomplete process was enough. But just last week the State Department Inspector General released a report finding a lack of technical and scientific expertise at the State Department to evaluate the impacts of the pipeline.1 So clearly, this pipeline hasn’t been adequately evaluated.
Our Congress should be in the business of acting in America’s interest. Instead, their business appears to be Big Oil’s business.
Please help make a big statement today to remind our Senators who they really work for, and show huge opposition to this ill-conceived, disastrous pipeline. And please share it widely so we make as large an impact as possible over the next 24 hours, and Bill McKibben has a large number of signatures to announce tonight on the Colbert Report.
Click below to automatically sign the petition:
Thank you for showing urgent opposition to Keystone XL.
Elijah Zarlin, Campaign Manager
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Where the money goes at NYU
- Words of Power
- alias Bruce
- Cody Lyon
- The Rude Pudit
- Election Defense Alliance
- t r u t h o u t
- The Ostroy Report
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- Talking Points Memo
- Early America
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Veterans for Common Sense
- Media Matters
- Media Channel
- Writers Voice
- Richard Charnin
- Democratic Undergroud
- William Betz
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.