From: Gabriel Rey-Goodlatte, ColorOfChange.org:
Amazing news! Pat Buchanan and his white supremacist ideology will no longer be on TV, thanks to ColorOfChange.org and CREDO Action members.
Buchanan hasn’t appeared on MSNBC since we launched our campaign, and MSNBC President Phil Griffin just confirmed that Buchanan is suspended indefinitely1,2 because some of his ideas aren’t “appropriate for national dialogue on MSNBC.”3 While Griffin said he hasn’t decided whether Buchanan will return, media analysts say it’s very unlikely he will be allowed back.4 This is a huge victoryfor everyone who cares about keeping hateful, racially divisive rhetoric and misinformation out of the mainstream media.
Please join us in celebrating this moment. And if you can, please consider making a contribution to help us continue this work. People like Buchanan aren’t going away, and we need your support to continue holding the media accountable, especially during the upcoming election season. ColorOfChange.org is powered by you, our members — your energy and your dollars. Please click here to make a donation of $5, $10, $25, or more:
For years, Buchanan has been pushing white supremacist ideology on national television.5,6,7 In October, after he appeared on a white supremacist radio show to promote his new book,8,9more than 275,000 ColorOfChange and CREDO Action members demanded that MSNBC fire him. MSNBC has kept Pat Buchanan off the air since our campaign launched, but for more than a month they refused to say anything about why he was gone or whether he would be allowed back on the air. The network was likely hoping that the controversy would blow over if they kept Buchanan off the air for a while. As MSNBC remained silent, thousands of us flooded their offices with phone calls, demanding answers. Now, finally, they’ve broken their silence.
Unfortunately, MSNBC still seems overly concerned about offending Buchanan’s fans. They still won’t say for sure whether Buchanan will be welcome back at some point, and in announcing his suspension, Phil Griffin called Buchanan “a good guy.”
But MSNBC has demonstrated some accountability. They have publicly acknowledged that some of Buchanan’s views are not appropriate for a mainstream national television network, and that he’s being suspended for that reason. It seems very unlikely that Buchanan will return, and we’ll be keeping a close eye on the situation to make sure he doesn’t.
None of this could have happened without the voices of ColorOfChange and CREDO Action members. Please take a moment to celebrate, and if you can, please make a contribution of $5, $10, $25 or more to help us continue this work:
— Rashad, Gabriel, Dani, Matt, Natasha, Kim and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team
January 10th, 2012
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU—your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don’t share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:
1. “MSNBC chief says he hasn’t decided whether commentator Pat Buchanan will return to network,” Washington Post, 1-7-12
2. “Pat Buchanan May Be Done At MSNBC: Phil Griffin,” Huffington Post, 1-7-12
3. “Pat Buchanan Out Indefinitely At MSNBC,” Mediaite, 1-7-12
5. “Twelve Pretty Racist Or Just Crazy Quotes From Pat Buchanan’s New Book,” TPMMuckracker, 10-24-11
6. “Pat Buchanan in His Own Words,” Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting, 02-26-96
7. “The Bigotry Of Pat Buchanan,” Media Matters, 07-29-2011
8. “Pat Buchanan Appears On ‘Pro-White’ Radio Show,” Media Matters, 10-23-11
9. “Pat Buchanan Won’t Disavow Idea That Minorities Have Inferior Genes,” Media Matters, 10-21-11
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- The Ostroy Report
- Democratic Undergroud
- Writers Voice
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Barry Gordon
- Richard Charnin
- The International Human Press
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Cody Lyon
- Thom Hartmann
- Words of Power
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Online Journal
- History Unfolding
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Media Channel
- t r u t h o u t
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.