Then we could have an honest argument about the all-important difference between universities and business corporations, as Andrew Ross notes here.
(The proper role of universities in this particular police state is another, though related, matter.)
Not Just Another Profit-Seeking Venture
By Andrew Ross
Should our university leaders admit that money is the primary reason for expanding overseas?
There would be much less of a credibility gap when sticky questions about egregious human-rights violations pop up, as seems inevitable in the countries that are creating the boom in offshore higher education. We would not have to participate in the tiresome debate about balancing the virtuous contributions of our new branch campuses against the corrosive stain of operating in illiberal societies. However that conversation is shaped, it always ends up sounding like a rationale for missionary work, or for the kind of “hearts and minds” propaganda exercise most recently seen in the State Department’s efforts to combat the rise of anti-Americanism.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- NYU is built for WAR! (Who knew?)
- HuffPost ran this strong defense of Bobby Kennedy, Jr.—then took it down just minutes later.
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- Election theft in Michigan and Florida may have been more dramatic than we think… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- Democratic Undergroud
- History Unfolding
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Election Defense Alliance
- Richard Charnin
- Media Channel
- Thom Hartmann
- alias Bruce
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Writers Voice
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- The Rude Pudit
- Online Journal
- Media Matters
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Barry Gordon
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.