NDAA Bill Aims to Suppress Internet Freedom
By Dave Smith | December 16, 2011 3:36 PM EST
The National Defense Authorization Bill 2012, unanimously backed by the Senate and passed in the House of Representatives Thursday, contains some language that allows the Pentagon to effectively wage a cyberwar on any domestic enemies of the state. The bill is a serious violation of First Amendment human and civil rights, including freedom of speech and freedom of the press, and the legislation could potentially hinder the movements of both Occupy Wall Street and the Tea Party campaign, as well as quash attempts from the whistleblowers in independent news media from exposing corruption from within the government.
Here is excerpt from the bill, which the House voted upon but the Senate didn’t:
“Congress affirms that the Department of Defense has the capability, and upon direction by the President may conduct offensive operations in cyberspace to defend our Nation, Allies and interests, subject to (1) the policy principles and legal regimes that the Department follows for kinetic capabilities, including the law of armed conflict; and (2) the War Powers Resolution.”
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: email@example.com
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK’s assassination!
- Talkin’ World War One Blues…
- How Australia plans to keep its vaccinated children safe from illnesses that they can’t catch
- On the mass delusion now afflicting liberals (and putting all of us at risk)
- There’s actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in “Russia-gate.”
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Contact Lou Dobbs on
- Forbidden Bookshelf on
- Top US spooks see NO “conclusive evidence” of Russian hacking in Election 2016 on
- How blaming Trump’s “election” on the Russians could force Hillary on us after all—and end US democracy for good… on
- The strange death of Nancy Schaefer (two items)
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- There's actually more evidence in Pizzagate than there is in "Russia-gate."
- Please HELP FUND this documentary on JFK's assassination!
- How NYU squeezes billions from its students—and where that money goes
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Writers Voice
- Barry Gordon
- Media Channel
- The Rude Pudit
- Media Matters
- Talking Points Memo
- Cody Lyon
- History Unfolding
- Early America
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Evil GOP Bastards
- Democratic Undergroud
- Suburban Guerrilla
- t r u t h o u t
- alias Bruce
- Words of Power
- Thom Hartmann
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.