The Warning in Gary Webb’s Death
December 9, 2011
Special Report: Modern American history is more complete because journalist Gary Webb had the courage to revive the dark story of the Reagan administration’s protection of Nicaraguan Contra cocaine traffickers in the 1980s. However, Webb ultimately paid a terrible price, as Robert Parry reports.
By Robert Parry
Every year since investigative journalist Gary Webb took his own life in 2004, I have marked the anniversary of that sad event by recalling the debt that American history owes to Webb for his brave reporting, which revived the Contra-cocaine scandal in 1996 and forced important admissions out of the Central Intelligence Agency two years later.
But Webb’s suicide on the evening of Dec. 9, 2004, was also a tragic end for one man whose livelihood and reputation were destroyed by a phalanx of major newspapers – the New York Times, theWashington Post and the Los Angeles Times– serving as protectors of a corrupt power structure rather than as sources of honest information.
In reviewing the story again this year, I was struck by how Webb’s Contra-cocaine experience was, in many ways, a precursor to the subsequent tragedy of the Iraq War.
“While We Were Sleeping”
Orwell Rolls In His Grave, featuring MCM – Buy the DVD
About News From Underground
News From Underground is a daily e-news service run by Mark Crispin Miller, a Professor of Culture and Communication at NYU. It is based on his belief that academics, like reporters, have a civic obligation to help keep the people well-informed, so that American democracy might finally work.
If you'd like to receive updates delivered to your inbox daily, sign up for News From Underground Alerts:
Help News From Underground!
Message from Mark: "I am a one-man operation, although assisted greatly by some volunteers, and, now and then, by people paid by others for one-time projects. There is no shortage of skilled, dedicated folks out there who want to help me. There is, however, nothing I can pay them with, unless you decide you can contribute something."
Please donate via the PayPal button above or via PayPal by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If he gets his way, Connecticut State University will be destroyed by Gov. Dannel Malloy (a Democrat)
- Final text of TPP confirms that it will kill free speech and many people, too
- “Government of the people”? Which people? Nearly half the cash poured (so far) into “our” next presidential race comes from 158 families
- Teapot Dome 2.0! Arne Duncan hands out millions to Ohio’s charter schools—the worst in the US—then skates away
- Trump owns millions in the companies he rails against for “stranding” cash offshore
- Don’t buy these products from Koch Industries! on
- Wisconsin to buy “all new voting machines”—and Koch/Walker will go on “winning” there FOREVER! on
- Please SIGN Elizabeth Warren’s petition to halt “fast track” of TPP! on
- 2nd Amendment was devised to keep Americans in chains on
- Update on the strange death of Nancy Schaefer on
- Forbidden Bookshelf
- Don't buy these products from Koch Industries!
- Eight BIG PROBLEMS with the "case" against Assange (MUST-READ by Naomi Wolf)
- Why is Putin bombing ISIS? Because the US isn't bombing them at all! (And why is that?))
- Who is killing all those "natural health" physicians in America?
- Media Channel
- Evil GOP Bastards
- The Rude Pudit
- The Existentialist Cowboy
- Thom Hartmann
- History Unfolding
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- Election Defense Alliance
- Media Matters
- The International Human Press
- Suburban Guerrilla
- Mainstream Baptist
- Early America
- The Ostroy Report
- Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
- Cody Lyon
- Online Journal
Need a bigger font size?
- Your link could be here too, contact us for pricing details.